Friday, December 7, 2007

It isn't just mortgages that Ocwen is suspicious about... Others beware

My husband is currently on the phone trying to determine the source of Ocwen's account that is in his name, and I am looking for a lawyer to contact regarding this. I thought I would share it here, since others looking up Ocwen to check them out will find this report like I did.A month ago we received a call from Ocwen, requesting that my husband pay on an account that had been transfered to them. According to them, the account had originally been held by CitiBank and was a Visa card. My husband has never had a CitiBank Visa, so was confused. I initially looked up Ocwen and found this, so I was alarmed. We looked up his credit report on Equifax to check out what it said. We found the apparent card, but that it was held by Midland and apparently sold. We then contacted CitiBank, giving them his name and social. They had no information on him, or even anything to show he had ever been a CitiBank customer. We spoke with Ocwen again a few days ago, and my husband reported his findings. The rep that he spoke to said she would have to call CitiBank and did we have a phone number. He looked up a number and gave it to her. It was the same 800 number we used. Today the rep called and had the same conversation with my husband, again asking for a number for CitiBank. My husband was rather exasperated that they hadn't called the first time he gave the number. He was able, though, to get the account number that had been the CitiBank Visa account this time.He called CitiBank again. They had no information on the account, only that it had been transfered by them to Midland. Calling Midland he found out that it had been transfered to Ocwen and that they now had information on the account. The rep at Midland gave him instructions on what to do to clear this account and have Ocwen close it, but reading this report I am worried that Ocwen may not do so, even if we are able to show definatively that the account was never his. It's a long and drawn out story, and I hope that someone else seeing this report will realize that there are problems with Ocwen's collections practices in more than just mortgage loans. Thank you,

No comments: